SASA – LEARNERS 5A. Norms and Standards for basic infrastructure and capacity in public schools.
5A. Norms and standards for basic infrastructure and capacity in public schools.
(1) The Minister may, after consultation with the Minister of Finance and the Council of Education Ministers, by regulation prescribe minimum uniform norms and standards for
(a) school infrastructure;
(b) capacity of a school in respect of the number of learners a school can admit; and
(c) the provision of learning and teaching support material. [Sub-s. (1) amended by s. 5 of Act No. 15 of 2011.]
(2) The norms and standards contemplated in subsection (1) must provide for, but not be limited to, the following:
(a) In respect of school infrastructure, the availability of
- a library;
- laboratories for science, technology, mathematics and life sciences;
- sport and recreational facilities;
- electronic connectivity at a school; and
- perimeter security;
(b) in respect of the capacity of a school
- the number of teachers and the class size;
- quality of performance of a school;
- curriculum and extra-curricular choices;
- classroom size; and
- utilisation of available classrooms of a school;
(c) in respect of provision of learning and teaching support material, the availability of
- stationery and supplies;
- learning material;
- teaching material and equipment;
- science, technology, mathematics and life sciences apparatus;
- electronic equipment; and
- school furniture and other school equipment.
(3) When determining policy in terms of sections 5 (5) and 6 (2) a governing body must comply with the norms and standards contemplated in subsection (1).
(4) A governing body must, within a period of 12 months after the Minister has prescribed the norms and standards contemplated in subsection (1), review any policy that it has determined in terms of sections 5 (5) and 6 (2) to ensure that such policy complies with the norms and standards. [S. 5A inserted by s. 5 of Act No. 31 of 2007.]